The Jon C. Dalton Institute on College Student Values recognizes an outstanding practice or program relevant to the field of college student character and values development. The recipient of this annual award shall receive the following:
- Complimentary Dalton Institute registration for up to two people involved in the award-winning best practice
- $500 cash award
- Recognition during the annual Dalton Institute awards luncheon
- Opportunity to present about your program during the Dalton Institute
2018 Award Nominations will Open on July 31, 2017!
Nominations for the Best Practice Award must provide evidence of a program or practice that has contributed significantly to the field of college student character and values development.
Nominations should be submitted electronically via the link at the bottom of this page, and should include:
- Program/practice name or title
- Cover letter from the submitting nominator (2 pp max)
- Executive summary (2 pp max)
- Description and/or outline (6 pp max)
- Brief bio of presenter(s)
The following items are optional, but provision of this information will help reviewers to gain a richer understanding of the nominated program or practice:
- Up to three letters of support from stakeholders or participants – OPTIONAL (Not to exceed three letters)
- Assessment data – OPTIONAL (Not to exceed three pages)
- Other supporting documents detailing the implementation or outcomes of the program – OPTIONAL (Not to exceed three pages)
Nominations will be accepted through October 2, 2017.
All materials submitted become the property of the Jon C. Dalton Institute on College Student Values. The panel of reviewers will include practicing or retired student affairs professionals and preparation program faculty/faculty emeriti.
- Each submission will be reviewed by the same number of reviewers.
- Reviewers will use standardized rating criteria. The criteria include:
- Positive affect on student learning and/or character and values development
- Successful demonstration of addressing student and/or campus needs
- Originality and creativity
- Practical use of research and/or assessment
- The winner and runner-up will be recognized at the annual Dalton Institute awards luncheon.
- The award recipient will be notified no later than November 20, 2017.
- The decision of the reviewers will be final.
If you would like more information on past award recipients, please visit the Character Clearinghouse.